This is one of those recipes that I'm sure has been around since the dark ages, I know I've been making them like, forever!
While some recipes I've come across include citrus peel, I have always kept mine really simple and added only sultanas.
Unlike the implication of the title, I have this innate need to make them smooth and rounded.
- 1/2 cups self-raising flour
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup caster sugar
- 100g butter, chilled & chopped
- 3/4 cup sultanas
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper.
- Sift flours and cinnamon in a large bowl. Stir in sugar. Using your fingertips, rub butter into flour mixture until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Stir in sultanas. Make a well in the centre.
- Combine egg and milk in a jug. Pour egg into well. Using a butter knife, mix ingredients to form a sticky dough, adding more milk if necessary.
- Spoon 1 1/2 tablespoons of mixture, 5cm apart, onto prepared baking tray. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden.
- Stand for 5 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool.