Baked beans...pretty much a staple food item and found in many, many pantries around the country. How many times over the years did my kids want their little tin of baked beans to snack on.
Long live the baked bean!!
This recipe is one I've had for around 16 years, I've no idea where it came from but I'm sure glad I came across it all those years ago.
So for all those kids that love their baked beans, they can now have their very own Baked Bean Pie for lunch.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 300g beef mince
- 425g can crushed tomatoes
- 220g can SPC baked beans (drain off excess liquid)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3 sheets ready rolled puff pastry, thawed
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 200C (fan forced) and grease a 12 hole muffin tray.
- Heat oil in a frying pan, add the garlic and onion and cook until soft. Add the mince and brown, breaking up any lumps. Add the tomatoes, baked beans & tomato paste, bring to the boil and cook, stirring, for 3-5 minutes or until the mixture thickens slightly.
- Set aside and allow to cool. Meanwhile, cut 4 x 10cm circles from each pastry sheet (I didn't have a cutter that size, so I used an upturned glass as a cutting guide) and place into each hole of the muffin tray. Divide the mixture evenly among the pastry circles, filling just to the top of the pastry.
- Sprinkle evenly with cheese and place the tray into the oven on the top shelf, baking for 15-20 minutes or until golden and the pastry is cooked. Remove from tray and allow to cool on a wire rack.